Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Linking wordpress gallery thumbnail to page or post...

I'm using WP 3.2.1.

Putting this post up after spending almost 2.5 weeks looking for some easy way to add a link form gallery thumb to page or post. Gallery has default settings that are very hard to work around and I crashed my site once in the process of trying to make some magic happen.

Simply putting this post up to steer people in the right direction: you will find that it is much easier to tinker with the style.css section of your site and adjust image postings. Here you can change the border width, margins and alignment. You can very likely get the look and feel that you are after without ever tackling the monster that is Wordpress's very klunky gallery.

There is a little wiggle room to be had ( though not enough to make me happy) that you can find by using plugins:



file gallery ( best gallery add on I've found so far. it is a student project and I have not tested it in depth simply loaded it and explored the options which I found impressive.)

and

NextGEN gallery ( which seemed to meet my needs but had lots of features that were not applicable to my goals).

If anyone finds a quick and easy way to add the feature of links to pages from thumbnails rather that the default gallery set up that WP has or file url please add a comment and link. What I'm looking from is something really simple. No deep php edits--- no creation of new editing elements unless it's some amazing plug in: simple simple simple which is what Wordpress is supposed to be all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment