Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Scale Images Wordpress: scaling images after upload

When I start building a site I usually rush to put up content. Its something like the feeling of a canvas being easier to work on after you've added that first dab of paint: the void is just a little too much to tackle on a whole and too much planning before you start can start to build anxiety or uncertainty around the actual beginning!


So that being said- I often upload images at a large scale and understand afterwards what the the realistic scale I'll need to use them at actually is.  You'll be glad to know that Wordpress has planned for this sort of behavior.

Go into your dashboard and go to the "Media" section. Under "Media" select library and find all of your images noted here. Hover over the image title and select "Edit" from the menu that appears below.
Once you are in the screen where you can edit your image look to the left and see "Scale Image". Select "Scale Image" and the panel will expand.

After loading my images of all sizes I realized the largest dimension any image would need in the site was 300px. I've gone back through my site and made 300px the cut off dimension for all of my images--- some images even have a cut off of 180px.

Scaling images in this way optimizes your site-- this means a page that shows an image at 100px by 100px doesn't spend time processing a much larger image and then scaling it down. The end result is a site where pages load as quickly as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment